Tuesday 24 August 2010

Milton Abbas, Hilton and Bulbarrow

I may have already mentioned this (ahem), but I did a 100 mile cycle ride for "charidy" in early July which involved cycling through lots of Dorset (you can read about it here if you've really got nothing better to do).  While doing it, I saw some absolutely beautiful areas, a lot of which I'd never visited before despite living less than about 20 miles from most of the places.  So, I decided to drive back out to some parts of the route one evening and get some shots.

Wheat Field near Hilton I
Dorset Field Sunset
I started by heading out to Milton Abbas as I remembered stopping near to the Abbey/School (I'm not entirely sure which one it is, or if it's both - update: turns out it is a school: Click Here) and the sight was beautiful.  It was one heck of a school if that was the whole grounds, and I'm fairly sure it would break all but the largest of banks to send your kids there!

Milton Abbey
Milton Abbey
The abbey is set just outside the village of Milton Abbas and is surrounded by fields and trees.  To the right of my location, another field and tree-covered hill extends outwards:

Milton Abbey Clouds
Milton Abbas Field
The road from Milton Abbas past the school goes to the village (hamlet?) of Hilton, and this is one of the roads that I cycled on for the ride.  The shot below was very close to the point where I parked my car, and shows the road with high hedgerows on either side.

Sunset Road
The Road to Hilton
Across the road, there was an entrance to a wheat field on a fairly big hill.  It was quite hard work lugging the camera, tripod and camera bag up the hill considering it was only 2 days after the 100 mile bike ride, but the view was worth it.  It was a fairly typical sight from that area - lots of trees, fields and crops growing, all bathed in beautiful pre-sunset light.

Wheat Field near Hilton II
Field between Milton Abbas and Hilton
From Hilton, I drove up Bulbarrow Hill which was the biggest hill on the bike ride and seemed to go on for miles.  The particular point that I stopped with the camrea was a little uninspiring, but I capture this shot just after sunset.

Above Hilton
View from the top of Bulbarrow Hill
Technically, all shots were with the 5D mark 2, 17-40L and HiTech 0.6 ND grad filter, on a manfrotto 055XProB tripod with ball head and remote release.

No comments:

Post a Comment